Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Disorganization and Focus

Today I was cleaning up my room and I put together everything dedicated to writing - old drafts I had printed out, lots of notes, notebooks dedicated to a project that I had abandoned, folders with lots of notes...

It looks like this:



That looks like a lot, but it's rather misleading. Many of the notebooks are only half-used at most. The two bound drafts are identical. There are quite a few things that will never be revisited.

But still, I am extremely unorganized. I started moving everything to the computer - I use OneNote and now Scrivener - but it's not very consistant and I never have everything I need in one place. There are stray notes everywhere, and they may not even be relevant anymore because I have reworked a particular concept or plot.

My main problem, of course, is focus. I never can focus when I'm on the computer, but it's misleading when writing on paper. And yet, I can really edit articles hard over on Wikipedia. I think that is because you have to save edits live (unless using a sandbox) on Wikipedia, providing a sort of deadline. I've tried setting goals for my important writing, but I never stick to them or really enforce them.

Is it too early to make a New Year's resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment