Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Favorite Books of 2014

I was originally going to attempt to fit all the books I read this year into categories, but that got kind of long and boring. So in simple form, here are my top 10 favorite books that I read in 2014. Order is a bit difficult. The top 3 immediately made my all-time favorites list; the next two were added in retrospect and are practically tied for placement. After that choosing books were difficult. Number 10 was very difficult to decide because I had run out of books that had completely stood out in my memory.
  1. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
  2. The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
  3. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak (technically started in 2013)
  4. Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King
  5. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
  6. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  7. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáen
  8. Cinder by Marissa Meyer 
  9. Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King 
  10. Le Petit Prince d'Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (in French)

NEW YEAR THINGS
In the new year, I'm probably going to be reading more classics that are difficult to review because there isn't much new to say about them. I probably only will make a post if I feel like I really have something to say or it means a lot to me. However, I still plan to intersperse light reads in between to keep me from burning out, and I'll hopefully catch up with some other ideas I've had instead of reviews.

Other than that, here is what will hopefully get done in the New Year on this book blog (TV stuff will be mainly on tumblr):
  • I'll finish my analysis of Obsidian (on whether it is a good critique of Twilight), I promise.
  • I want to catch up/finish The Lunar Chronicles, because that was the one YA series I found entertaining and interesting. (I probably won't read Fairest though.)
  • I'm really excited for A.S. King's 2015 release, I Crawl Through It, which is her usual surrealism (but possibly more surreal?) about kids trying to escape from standardized tests. I also want to read Reality Boy, but I'm on the fence about Glory O'Brien.
  • I might try out some writing advice, or at least musings on writing.
  • I do have some things to say about ways to interpret and our personal experiences in regards to stories, including television, and that will probably appear here as well.
  • THE BIG ONE: I planned to run a series of posts about the most influential books in my life and how they shaped my reading and writing habits. I've got the first of these written and would love to work on them and run them weekly at some point in 2015.
  • Also, I want to do retrospective reviews of books I love and why I love them. I had started rereading The Things They Carried, actually...

No comments:

Post a Comment