Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Slice of Contemporary: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Anna and the French Kiss

Something different this time. Two books, two much shorter, as-less-spoilers-as-possible reviews. Can I do it? I think so...

These are both contemporary YA novels (well, one actually is more of a recent historical, but close enough). I stopped reading contemporary for a long time, but I'm starting to think I might have more luck with them in YA because they may lead to less romances that annoy me. Well, possibly...

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
This really wasn't high on my TBR list, but the library had it out and I picked it up when stocking up on books for vacation. And I am so glad I did.

A big movement circling around the Internet (and elsewhere) is a push for more diversity in YA and books in general. Aristotle and Dante is about two Mexican-American (although middle-class) teenage boys--which I didn't know about before reading the book--and there are also gay themes, which I did know before reading the book. I'm a white heterosexual female and could I relate to this? Oh yeah. And it's not like the diversity "doesn't make a difference," either, because I really enjoyed reading about these kids and their neighborhood and culture. It was different, and I loved that. Furthermore, it looks like it might be a bit autobiographical; Sáenz is Mexican-American and gay and while he may have grown up a decade or so before Ari and Dante, there is still something about this novel that seems really personal, and that is a joy.


I sort of enjoyed this so much that I forgot to take notes, honestly, and I don't want to give too much away. I loved the involvement of both sets of parents and I loved Ari and Dante's struggles of self-discovery and life in general. A very teenagery thing. They made bad choices sometimes, but that is expected and by the end they learn from it. The writing style was very quiet and succinct, but I did not feel distanced. There was kind of a subtle beauty to it all.

This one is definitely on my buy-in-the-future-to-reread list (along with The Giver).

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Something else that was not high on my TBR, although this time it wasn't because I didn't really know what the book was about, but because I didn't feel comfortable buying it or checking it out from the library...I've never been into romance or so-called "chick-lit" and never wanted to be associated with typical "girly" things since I was little. But when I discovered my library's ebook and audiobook lending database, this was what I went for to check it out. I didn't have much of a choice, really; I'd heard so much about it and Eleanor & Park was my first choice, but it was already checked out. Besides, this seemed like a quick read that could benefit from the ebook lending.

Supposedly, this was a light and "adorable" story and a go-to book if you're ever feeling down. This...is not really how I'd describe it. I did really enjoy the first half; Anna's situation was relatable; it's set in France and I study French so that was fun; and even though it was obvious St. Clair was the love interest from the start, he was his own person, shorter than Anna (although not ridden of cliches), and because he had a girlfriend, Anna was concerned with just being his friend. I am a personal fan of love interests becoming friends first and gradually getting closer that it develops into something more, so I enjoyed that aspect, as well as Anna knowing she couldn't have him and not trying, even if she felt jealous at times.

But unfortunately, for much of the second half, there was a lot of drama and it seemed to drag on too long, and they were constantly put in contrived awkward situations which isn't really my thing. Not to mention a sort of thing that "just happens" and fulfills all the [huh I never finished this sentence; I think it was talking about her kiss with the other boy?]. The drama I do not particularly enjoy reading, but I'm conflicted of course, because of course it happened and the emotions are valid and this stuff does happen in real life. And the characters learned from it by the end. And I did like how, really, a lot of the mess happened because they were awkward teenagers and had trouble communicating. So...I think I like it better on paper, but it wasn't feel-good and an "adorable" exploration of romance for me. I just didn't feel it by the time I got to the end. I'm not sure if I'll read Lola and the Boy Next Door and/or Isla and the Happily Ever After...

So, one stellar book and one that was not offensive but didn't deliver what I expected or wanted when actually reading it. Not too bad of a selection. Romance is always going to be a tricky thing for me, and I have my reasons, most of them personal, but I promise I will try. I think I'm just being harder because I have to write actual reviews and really I've never cared about romances in books and now I have to point that out and compare it to my own experiences, which are...atypical. (I love Oz/Willow in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, though, does that count? Though Tara is equally awesome, don't get me wrong.)

Next up: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

No comments:

Post a Comment