Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is the Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession. This will include print books, ebooks, and library books.

I have actually acquired quite a few books recently, but I am going to eliminate reference books/books for school and books that I've already read (as I gathered a couple of Bradburys for my collection). This list will be in descending order, with the most recent first.

1. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab: I have not yet read Vicious (which I have owned only for a little while), but I've been snooping around Schwab's vlogs and blog posts for writerly advice and inspiration and I definitely admire her. What made me pick up this book now was my recent obsession with enjoyment of the TV series Fringe, which like this book has parallel universes, and so it seemed appropriate even if the novel is more fantasy-oriented. (As a kid I also loved Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, so channeling those vibes is also welcome.)

2. Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick: I picked this up at a discounted bookstore on a whim (along with those Bradburys I mentioned), though it was somewhere on my Goodreads TBR list. It won the Printz and I've only seen positive reviews, though I haven't really gotten a clear picture of what it's about! Nevertheless, Sedgwick is an interesting writer (I enjoyed most of the stories in The Ghosts of Heaven, his most recent release) with his own style and I'm intrigued.

3. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater: I picked this up from the library because I can't contain my curiosity any longer. Something about it just seems mysterious and magical and unique, and I really hope I'm not disappointed because I rarely feel compelled to continue series nowadays and I'd like to add one more to the list.

4. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson: Another library book and my current read. I was also too curious and was looking for a better LGBT read than Grasshopper Jungle.

5. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie: I got the gorgeous new Barnes and Noble Children's Classic edition and I love it and I hope I love the story just as much. I'm very interested in magical children's stories, so it seems to be for me.

6. Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley: The reason I went to B&N was to pick this up because I had a coupon. It's a relatively new release and has intrigued me, because it seems different and Neil Gaiman-esque. Seemed like something for me.

7. Bradbury Stories by Ray Bradbury: The ebook version of this was on sale and so I had to get it. It's 100 short stories that Bradbury wrote--some I've read before, some I haven't, but it sounds like a great thing to read gradually.

8. Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith: I couldn't help my curiosity about this accidental-end-of-the-world-with-giant-praying-mantises story, so I checked it out from the library. Unfortunately I ended up not liking it very much, especially as it went on. I am currently polishing my (lengthily and somewhat personal) review.

9. Misery by Stephen King: This was pretty cheap on Kindle and so I snagged it. I had gotten The Shining not too far before and I''m looking to get into King in the future. This one I've heard good things about recently, and my parents also recommended it. (They were pretty big fans

10. Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S. King: While I own several of her books and really enjoyed them, I wasn't sure if this one would be for me, so I picked it up from the library. It was a good choice because I didn't enjoy it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment