Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Hyped Books I've Never Read

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is the Top Ten Books I've Never Read.

This is a fairly easy one for me actually, as I often find hyped books not to my taste, or after a while of waiting and thinking I become not interested anymore. So, I am going to try to keep this to books that I think I may actually never read. These are not in any particular order.

1. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell: This has been a huge hit and at first it seemed like something I would enjoy, and to some extent I still think I may read it at some point just out of sheer curiosity. The original reason why I avoided it was because it looked like it wouldn't end happily and that wasn't really something I wanted to see at that time. (Not that I always want happy endings--quite the contrary--but I'm not much of a fan of star-crossed lovers.) I've also read about the less-than-stellar portrayals of the nonwhite characters.

2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky: Unless I'm doing a project on YA lit history (which I have considered doing a blog for at some point in the future, though I'm not so sure now), I don't feel any compulsion to read it. I may have liked it when I was younger, but now I have the suspicion I'll feel like I'm missing something if I do read it.

3. The Son of Neptune and anything else after its publication aside from Throne of Fire (which I already read) by Rick Riordan: I have absolutely nothing against Riordan; I actually think his books are great for teaching kids about mythology. (They certainly are the main reason I remember what I do about it.) I was the right age when Percy Jackson was popular and The Lost Hero was published, and I also read the first two Kane Chronicles Egyptian mythology books, but I fell behind and never read The Son of Neptune or anything after it. I hear they're great, but it's too much of a commitment for me and honestly I was not particularly in love with the characters and plots I did read; after a while, it felt a little formulaic and repetitive.

4. If I Stay by Gayle Foreman: When this was originally popular, it wasn't the sort of book I read. Now that I'm into more serious contemporary novels I felt like I should give it a go, but I sort of lost interest again. Similar to E&P, it looked a little bit too sad and again, I was never particularly interested to begin with. (But again, I might eventually pick this up out of curiosity.)

5. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Mass: The original plan would be to read at least this far into the series because everyone in their mother says that this second book is better than Throne of Glass in every way. I do like the idea of a long fantasy series and I did like the way the direction it seemed like the series was going, but I can't say I was really into the world or the characters and so I don't see how reading more would be rewarding for me. There are other series I'm more interested in, anyway.

6. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen: I wasn't a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice and while I'm not going to write off Austen completely, every other book she wrote interests me more than this one.

7. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard: One of this year's most hyped YA books. I was uninterested in this anyway, but I've heard it feels like a rehearsal of a lot of frequently used YA fantasy tropes, and considering that's how I feel about a lot of YA series I attempt to read, I don't have any desire to read this.

8. Anything after City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (including The Infernal Devices trilogy): While I initially liked The Mortal Instruments, by the time I got to the third book I discovered they were really not for me. I can understand why it appeals to others, but I wasn't a fan of the characters and where the story chose to focus and how it dealt with its content.

9. The Selection series by Kiera Cass: I've heard these are addicting though light, but they don't seem to be for me.

10. Anything by Colleen Hover: I'm not saying that she won't publish something in the future that I'll be interested in, but based on what she has written so far, it doesn't seem to be for me. I've never read New Adult but I'm not much of a fan of romance and from what I've read these have character/relationship dynamics I don't much care for or relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment